Placement Assessment Information
After completing the application process, students should provide WCCC with an official copy of high school or GED transcript(s) and, if possible, SAT/ACT scores.
All students are required to attend a Placement Assessment and Educational Planning Session. The purpose of the session is to evaluate placement assessment scores, high school or GED transcript(s), and SAT/ACT scores (if submitted). These are used to determine appropriate freshman courses, pursue developmental course work prior to taking other credit courses, or consider noncredit academic preparation before enrolling in credit course offerings. The Placement Assessment and Educational Planning Session is required of full-time and part-time degree-seeking students, some visiting college students, and non-degree seeking students upon completion of 12 credit hours.
Students who have an associate or bachelor’s degree from an accredited community college or university may be exempt upon receipt of college transcripts. Visiting college students or transfer students may also be exempted upon receipt of college transcripts that validate satisfactory completion of prerequisites in reading, composition and mathematics. Also, SAT or ACT scores may exempt students from the Accuplacer assessment upon receipt of high school transcripts. Applicants for nursing and other allied health programs may be required to complete the Accuplacer regardless of degrees completed.
New part-time students who do not plan to pursue a degree or diploma are not required to take the Accuplacer. However, the assessment is required prior to enrolling in mathematics or English courses and any course with a prerequisite of RDG 080. Furthermore, students not seeking a degree are required to take the Accuplacer assessment after the completion of 12 credits in order to continue their enrollment.
Call the Placement Assessment Office at the Youngwood campus at 724.925.6893 or your nearest WCCC center to schedule the Accuplacer. There is no fee for the assessment.
The Accuplacer® assessment evaluates a student’s skill levels in reading comprehension, sentence skills, and mathematics. All students are required to take the Accuplacer® assessment or validate satisfactory completion of prerequisites before registering for mathematics courses, English courses, or courses with a specific prerequisite. Students are encouraged to prepare for the assessment by reviewing the following web sites:
Taking the Placement Assessment
Students are invited to schedule their Placement Assessment and Educational Planning Session as soon as the Application for Admission is complete.
Appointments are available by emailing email@example.com or by calling the Youngwood campus or an education center at the following:
- WCCC Youngwood 724.925.6893
- WCCC-Bushy Run 724.327.8090
- WCCC-Fayette 724.437.3512
- WCCC Greene County Education Center 724.627.3464
- WCCC Indiana County Education Center 724.357.1404
- WCCC-Latrobe 724.925-8473
- WCCC-Mon Valley 724.379.4119 "Not Open for Spring 2016"
- WCCC-New Kensington 724.335.8110
Hours of Operation at the Youngwood Campus
Monday-Thursday - 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
Friday - 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Re-testing will be determined by the SSSA or counselor based upon placement test scores.
- Students may be exempt upon receipt of official scores:
- Mathematics 500+
- Critical Reading 500+
- Writing 500+
- Mathematics 21+
- Reading 21+
- English 21+
- Students who have an Associate or Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university may be exempt upon receipt of college transcripts.
- Visiting college students or transfer students may also be exempted upon receipt of college transcripts that validate satisfactory completion of prerequisites in reading, composition, and mathematics.
- Certain programs, including Allied Health programs such as Nursing, require placement testing of all students.
Students who require accommodations due to a disability should call 724.925.4189 to discuss specific needs.